ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 13:41:52 -0400
> Kelleher, Cass, Forrest, Guiliano, Dolinar, Voce, Eaves & a few others
> remain, ...  very good players, but BC might fall to hard times without
> major contribution from new players ...  always a roll of the dice.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with BC now.

Over the past few years there is little doubt that Jerry York and his staff
do a terrific job recruiting, but I am less convinced at his ability to
coach the team on the ice.  York has had a ton of talent to work with, but
has found his teams under achieved at times during the year.  BC could
legitimately be three-time defending national champions right now.

I see that York just signed a new five-year contract.  This season we will
see how good of a coach he really is.

As far as how does Maine stack up.. I think Maine has a strong returning
team and should be one of the favorites to win Hockey East.  That ultimately
will be decided with how well the coaching staff has recruited forwards who
can put the puck in the net.  With Matt Yeats returning in goal, we will be
solid there.  A couple defensemen will see action early, but I do not think
losing Doug Janik is a crushing blow by any means.  As for forward.. who
knows?  :-)

I also wonder about the strength of Hockey East.  I think the league is open
for anyone to take hold of, but I think Maine, UNH and Providence are right
there, with BU and BC also in the mix.  If Lowell can build on their late
season surge last year, they could compete for home ice.

-dt