ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 12:23:42 EDT
   I don't have anything newer than ...       cheers, wayne

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 20, 2001
(Please forward to local media)

USCHO Victimized By Internet Hacker
Site to Return Online Shortly, Fully Intact

MINNEAPOLIS, Minn.-U.S.  College Hockey Online, the nation's premiere
resource for college hockey news, analysis and information, was the
victim of an Internet hacker, site officials announced today.  Hackers
exploited a rare vulnerability, knocking the site offline on Tuesday.
It has been down since then, as site managers attempt to prepare to go
back online.  "Over the years, we have always been vigilant about site
security," said USCHO general manager Jayson Moy.  "Unfortunately, it
seems, no matter how hard you try, hackers are finding ways to do
damage.  We will have to be even more vigilant in the future." USCHO
said the attacker seemed to be a random Internet citizen, and not
necessarily anyone specifically attemping to target its site.  USCHO
just completed its fifth season of operation, and gets upwards of 1
million page views per month during the hockey season.  Some of its
popular features include the USCHO.com Poll, the unique "Vote For
Hobey," the PairWise Rankings, and an active message board-in addition
to a daily dose of news, standings, scores, and more.  "We don't plan to
miss a beat," said Moy.  "It is taking us a couple of days to get back
up and fully running, but USCHO in general has been unaffected."