ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
D B Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 00:05:40 -0500
>From: Mike Machnik <[log in to unmask]>
>I can't say much about why BU people weren't there, but it seems that we
>were able to get the word out to Merrimack people that yes, there were a
>lot of seats available.  There was a pretty good contingent of Merrimack
>fans on hand for the Saturday game and even more for the Sunday game, as
>was also evident on tv.

For the record, I was certainly NOT being critical of the size nor
entusiasm of the Merrimack contingent at Walter Brown.  You could hear them
quite clearly on the TV audio, frequently drowning out the (relatively few)
BU partisans in attendance.  I commend the "away" fans for going to what is
usually a hostile place for out-of-towners.

Where Merrimack succeeded in motivating its fans to support the team in
person, BU failed. And miserably so.  Obviously Boston University has no
Sports Marketing 101 course at the Business School.

To sum up my thoughts on the thread, I must question what level of support
BU alumni give their sports programs.  BU gave up football because of low
attendance, and now they can't fill the home stands for a "clinching" game
in a post-season playoff series ?

Of the four Boston schools Sean listed in his post about percentage of
capacity last weekend, is it not true of the four Beantown schools listed,
BU would have the second largest alumni base to draw from, with only
Northeastern having a larger number ?  So, where were the Terrier legions ?

What kind of BU crowd will travel to see their team in Albany ?

My prediction -- please come to Boston for the Final Four, easy ticket
scalping source on the campus of Boston University.

Dan Doucette
UMaine 78 MPA 80

*** Beers may now be in the booth, but Jean-Yves Roy ***
***    should be kept with the big club in Boston     ***
***   Is there anyone better now with Providence ??  ***