ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Jan 2000 09:04:57 -0500
Personally, I have a problem with the whole rule change anyway.  I
understand it's intent (to stop players from diving), but to pull someone
off the ice for 10 minutes for diving seems to me to be too severe a
penalty for (in essence) the crime.

I also think it hurts the team more too.  I'd rather see a 2-minute,
man-down situation for diving than a misconduct.  Case in point Saturday
night with Maine down by a few goals and Heisten gets called off for
diving.  Was it any coincidence that when Hesiten came back Maine really
put on an assault?  It was a tough call.

On every play you have clutching and grabbing in college hockey and there
are dangerous hits from behind.  When was the last time you saw a 5-minute
major or a misconduct for a hit from behind?  But how many times have we
seen this diving misconduct, just halfway through this year?  I think the
NCAA is wrong and are focusing on the wrong types of play to punish the
players (severely) for.  I'd much rather see everyone diving and NO hits
from behind and boarding.

~Deron