ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Bob Fitta <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 16:49:02 -0500
Cathy's analysis was right on the mark.  Cap Raeder who provided the color
commentary is a former UNH goalie and I believe assistant coach.  Sean
Grande the play-by-play guy was the former voice of BU hockey and is a BU
grad.  Interestingly Mr. Grande waxed poetic about how long he'd known
Shawn and how excited he was before the game.  Let it be known that as the
afternoon sports anchor on WEEI in Boston, Mr. Grande took occasion to slam
Shawn on several occasions.

As a former radio broadcaster and voice of the Black Bears on WMEB during a
very forgettable season (82-83), here's my impressions of the tandem.
Every time Jason Krog was involved or missing from the play, he was
referred to as Hobey Baker Candidate Jason Krog.  However, when Steve
Kariya touched the puck this was rarely the case.  I wish I had taped the
game to count the disparities.  Also as I watched the third period I turned
to my wife and said "evidently Heisten must be hurt because Stewie skating
on the first line."  Did the expert broadcasting tandem or their roving
reporter pick up on this, no.  And after the game they kept referring to
how well the UNH defense played and how the forwards did not have a good
game.  When credit should have been going to Maine's team defense and
forecheck that kept UNH in their own end all night.  While I'm happy to
have a chance to see a game or two on TV I'd prefer it be an unbiased one,
frankly I miss Mr. Norton.

And since the ice has already been broken with a ticket request I have one
as well.  I am desperately seeking two tix to the games at UNH.  If for
some reason you can't make it to one or both games please let me know.
Heck, I'll even throw in some Harvard tickets.

Let's hope the Bears stay on a role this weekend against BC!

Kariya for Hobey!

Bob Fitta

Bob Fitta
Advertising Account Manager