From:
Wendy Boyle <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2014 17:03:03 +0000
     Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2014 14:05:41 -0500
     From: "Peggy Becksvoort" <[log in to unmask]>
  Subject: Re:
       To: [log in to unmask]

When shelving nonfiction, with numbers, I put folklore and fairy tales into
398.2 (or thereabouts). Yes, they are "not true" but according to Dewey
Decimal System, they fall into the 398 section.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dewey_Decimal_classes
If you were to be truly correct about cataloging, your fiction would fall
under literature, or the 800s.
So, it is easy to realize that calling non-fiction "true" and fiction "not
true" is actually incorrect.

Thanks for asking this question - it is one that many people have.

Peggy

Peg Becksvoort, LMS, NBCT
*Maine Association of School Libraries*
Librarian, Falmouth Middle School