From:
"Lord, Linda" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lord, Linda
Date:
Tue, 23 Dec 2014 15:06:22 +0000
From: Rabinowitz, Julie
Sent: Friday, December 19, 2014 5:22 PM
To: Lord, Linda; Ritter, James
Cc: Freund, Richard; Mealey, Dawn E.
Subject: Important information to share with Maine Librarians from the Department of Labor

Hi Linda and Jamie,

First, Linda, congratulations on your imminent retirement!

Second, I wanted to bring this new launch to your attention and ask for your help in communicating this information to all public libraries in Maine.

We have a change coming to the unemployment system that will very likely increase foot traffic in local libraries by patrons  needing computer access. This change is scheduled for the last week in January and will require each unemployment claimant to be registered with the Maine Job Bank as a requirement of receiving benefits, which is a federal requirement that we are coming into better compliance with as a state.

The attached information was mailed to all current claimants yesterday. It warns them that this change is coming and urges claimants to get their Job Bank registration completed and active as soon as possible.  We do not want them to wait until the last minute to get registered.

We anticipate that many of these individuals will need access to a computer and possible assistance in registering. As always, our CareerCenters will be the immediate resource for local libraries and the CareerCenter managers will be getting some geographic numbers soon that will be helpful in determining locations where the need will be greatest. I look forward to your recommendations on how to communicate this statewide that is most helpful to the libraries.  Simply forwarding this email and attachments might be the first step.  We also have collateral materials that may be of help.

Thanks,
Julie

Julie D. Rabinowitz
Director of Communication