From:
Kate Cutko <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Kate Cutko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 21 Mar 2014 16:26:59 -0400
Last month we hosted Richard Rubin, author of The Last of the Dough Boys: The forgotten generation and their forgotten world war. Richard documents the stories of WW1 veterans who ranged in age from 101 to 103.  They are all gone now but their stories and bits of their personalities are captured in Rubin’s book.
I highly recommend Richard’s presentation.  He spoke about his book, with an accompanying slide presentation, and brought these veterans “into the room”, and into our hearts.  He is a fine storyteller, and whets the appetite of anyone who enjoys history and the fine arts of interviewing and preserving oral history!  The crowd here in Bowdoinham responded well to him, and gathered around afterwards hoping to hear more and more. We were able to team up with our town’s Historical Society to share in the speaker’s fee. I know he is willing (anxious, even!) to travel to northern Maine.
In addition to his talk, Richard was willing to meet with me weeks after, to sign additional copies of his book that I needed to order.
Find out more at his website (richardrubinonline.com) and email him at ([log in to unmask]).

Kate Cutko
Library Director
Bowdoinham Public Library