Sender:
From:
Chase Emerson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Apr 2020 07:53:14 -0400
Good Morning Everyone,

I'm very grateful for the information in yesterday's MSL meeting, and so
appreciate the MSL's willingness to keep us all in the loop!

I'm going to try and just stick to the fact in an effort to stay respectful
of your limited time.

My library is in a small town in Hancock County, I'm the only employee and
rarely have more than 10 people in the building at at time (except July and
Aug, but we'll be into phase 3 by then). We are open 17 hrs/wk.

I need to address my Board with options re moving forward.
They have proven to be very conservative in response to the virus.
Most are at high-risk and some are very emotional around this topic.

Some community members are wondering why we haven't been offering
curbside/delivery service, and will not understand us staying closed after
May 1. Some Board members believe no one should leave their home until a
vaccine is created. Now that things are moving towards opening up, I find
walking the line of respecting the individual responses to this situation
is getting tricky. I don't need to stay open to ensure my income, this is
about serving our patrons. People can get their hair done and buy cars, but
the fixed income elderly that rely on library books and can't access
digital titles have to wait. I am not in a high risk category, and count
myself among those that are less risk averse. (I am not judging ANYONE'S
response. We are individuals and get to react and process as such. I just
wanted to express my viewpoint b/c it impacts the situation.) I have
concerns about libraries having their own sector in the DECD plan unless
there is recognition of the vast differences among us.

Here are the factors that I'm considering--
I can quarantine books the 72 hrs that the CDC is recommending.
I could open with controls to keep the total # in the bldg appropriate to
our space.
I could offer delivery or curbside service that keeps risk at a minimum.

I'd sure love to hear what the rest of you are thinking or planning.
Any tips for navigating with BOTs over this emotional topic would also be
amazing.
Thanks for any input you have time to give!
Nina
--

*Nina Woodward*
*Library Director*