ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 Oct 1999 23:42:36 -0400
UMaine women's hockey improved
By Deirdre Fleming, Of the NEWS Staff
Maybe Rick Filighera is taken with the frenzy over the national title won
by the University of Maine men's hockey team, but the third-year UMaine
women's hockey coach contends his team is two years away from being a
national-title contender.
One thing is certain: This year's team, which missed the eight-team ECAC
playoffs last year, its first year in the 13-team Division I league, will
be stronger.
``We have a lot of depth up front, and depth in goaltending. I'm very
excited for the season,'' Filighera said. ``Players are working harder
because of the depth. We have 30 players [up from 22] and can only dress
21, so they are working hard to get into the lineup.
``We will still take our lumps. We are still weak in some areas. But we're
a better team overall.''
To build a Division I team from the ground up, Filighera said three years
of heavy recruiting are needed. Along the way, a year is needed for trial
and error - which UMaine went through last year when it posted a 13-18-1
mark and a 7-18-1 record in ECAC play. Another year is needed for building.
One more for playoff experience. Then, Filighera said, a run at the title
is possible.
After giving his young forwards and sophomore goaltender Amanda Cronin of
York some help with new talent, Filighera said winning, rather than
learning, is what the team can focus on now.
UMaine top scorer Raffi Wolf said experience and knowledge alone have given
the Bears an attitude and purpose.
``We all know what to expect. I think everyone worked hard over the
summer,'' Wolf said. ``Last year, no one knew. Now we are ready to play.''
Wolf, of Voedre, Germany, came to UMaine from Canada's top Senior Women's
AAA league in Alberta and has been as forthcoming as Filighera in voicing
aspirations for a national title in 2002. And she's happy with the look of
the team.
``Practice is more intense,'' Wolf said. ``It was competitive last year.
But it seems practice was slower. It's harder, faster, there is a more
serious attitude.''
Filling the gaps
With first-line mates Wolf and Kira Misikowetz returning from 43 and
40-point seasons, respectively, Filighera plans to split his two stars and
build two solid scoring lines around them.
Putting returning forwards Colleen Baude (7 goals, 11 assists) and Kelly
Nelson (8 & 4) with Wolf, Filighera will put incoming stars Christine Lane,
a winger from Kanata, Ontario, who played in the Senior AAA League, and
Nicole Munro of Stratford, Ontario, with the 5-foot-10 Misikowetz.
The third line will be Amy Van Buren (1 & 2), Alison Lorenz (3 & 5) of
Brewer and freshman Cindy Biron of Lewiston, who played for New Hampton
Prep with Cronin. The fourth line is a speed line with Sarah Caza (5 & 4),
Jennie Howell (0 & 3) and Esther Granville (4 & 4), while the fifth and
sixth lines will be led by Christina Hedges (3 & 6) and Kim Hinton (1 & 0).
The Bears will be weak on defense, but they'll be solid in goal with Cronin
and freshman Dawn Froats, a 5-7 goaltender from Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan,
who compiled a 1.35 goals-against average for the Notre Dame Hounds.
``We're feeding well off each other,'' said Cronin, who posted a 3.75 GAA
last year. ``We're giving each other ideas. I'm excited. It's always good
when you have a player of the same skill level to work with.''
While defense will be the focus of Filighera's recruiting attention this
year, it still will be stronger than last year. Among the nine defensemen
are veterans Kelly Nelson, Allison Haley, Jill Marks, Jennie Howell, Brie
Layman and converted forward Angela Hill.
Becoming competitive
Filighera's long-range goals are mighty, especially for a team that earned
varsity status only a year ago. Yet the Bears' coach sees improvement in
modest increments.
``We have 34 games. I hope to win 17,'' Filighera said. ``The second and
third year we want to get in the playoffs and start winning. We don't talk
about losing.''
Picking up four more wins seems possible. UMaine opened last season getting
swept by Princeton, but it lost 4-3 in the first game. If the Bears can
take one from the Tigers, who are no ECAC cellar-dweller, they should be
able to beat Providence at least once (having lost 2-0, 3-1), and to sweep
Niagara (which UMaine split with last year).
Other possibilities exist. Last year's novice team lost by three or less
goals in six games. A couple of different variables this year also may help
create a more competitive team.
One change that has had an immediate effect is practicing in the afternoon
rather than at night. Filighera said when the Bears worked out from 7 to 9
p.m. last year, they were tired going into practice. Since they stepped on
the ice more than two weeks ago for their afternoon practices, they've
shown greater energy, more focus and a better work ethic.
Wolf said the different time slot at Alfond Arena changed everything.
``It's a lot better,'' Wolf boomed. ``The team is happy. We are out of
class and fresh for practice. You have more stuff right in the middle of
the day.''
Another change is on the coaching staff, where new assistant Jim Fetter,
the former head coach at the University of Lethbridge in Alberta and a
coach in the Canada Winter Games, joins the Bears.
The change that will have the greatest impact remains UMaine's depth.
``Last year was a trial run,'' Cronin said. ``Now we want to try to make a
name for ourselves. When I came in, we weren't aiming at the playoffs. If
we work hard enough, we can do it this year. Even if we were to just make
the playoffs, that would be unbelievable.''
The Black Bears open their season Saturday at the Universite du Quebec at
Trois Rivieres, while their home opener is Oct. 29 against the Concordia,
the Canadian national champion.