ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Oct 1999 22:32:57 -0400
Overall, I thought it was a good weekend for the defending national
champion Maine Black Bears as they opened the 1999-2000 season with a sweep
of the Minnesota Golden Gophers, 5-3 and 5-4.

Two individuals up front who have clearly elevated their play are Barrett
Heisten and Dan Kerluke.  Heisten, who was a force all weekend, played on a
line with his brother, freshman Chris Heisten and the two of them clicked
for the season's first goal (not the only time they lit the lamp together
either).  Heisten was aggressive all weekend and even though it is early he
showed he may be an early candidate for All-Hockey East team honors.

Kerluke may very well join him.  Kerluke was 2-2--4 on the weekend, with
both goals being game-winners and both goals being great, sniper
shots.  Kerluke was certainly one of Maine's best snipers last year, but
this year he is clearly faster than last year.

Some people said that Martin Kariya was better than Steve, but not as good
as Paul.  Well, Martin (Hockey East Rookie of the Week) certainly impressed
with a 2-1--3 on the weekend, including a very pretty, very Kariya-like
goal on the breakaway Sunday.  He seems to be lacking the speed that Paul
had and Steve developed, but people also need to remember that as a
freshman Martin will not be Steve (or Paul).  He may very well top Steve's
rookie point total (23), however.

Despite the fact that Maine didn't graduate large numbers, Maine featured a
number of new faces to start this season including these freshmen that
played both games: Tommy Reimann, Cliff Loya, Robert Liscak, Chris Heisten,
and Kariya.

Goaltending was solid (Matt Yeats played Saturday, Mike Morrison on
Sunday).  I felt Yeats had the better of the two starts, even though
Morrison probably faced more Grade A chances.  Morrison also seems to be
flopping around a bit more than Yeats, which tends to make us fans a bit
uncomfortable.  Both made some big saves when the defense let down.

Speaking of that, defense was average to maybe a bit above.  Maine would
have struggled with Minnesota's team speed on the larger ice surface (Minn.
plays on an Olympic sheet).  Maine allowed over 30 shots both games, which
is partly attributed to Minnesota being a good team, but also to the
defense needing to come together a bit more.  As Coach Walsh said before
the weekend, the forwards were ahead of the defense and I think that played
out over the weekend.  The defense will only get better, especially going
against those forwards every day in practice.

At forward, Maine will be competitive with everyone.  On first look I'd be
willing to suggest Maine is more talented up front than they were last
year.  They will feast on teams with weak or slow defense because they are
quick and skilled.  I thought the Minnesota defense played pretty well and
kept both games from being much different.  They tied up the Maine forwards
very well in front of the net.

Certainly Steve Kariya is a big loss, but I think Maine will be fine
without him.  The question will be can they replace the "big goals"
provided by Bobby Stewart and Marcus Gustafsson and the role playing of
Jason Vitorino?  Well, I think Kerluke stepped up, but who else will?

Niko Dimitrakos did not play Sunday, anyone know why?  I don't recall
seeing an injury Saturday and wondered if he was a healthy scratch
Sunday.  Anyone?

I think we will all miss Alfie Michaud.  Whenever the band played "Iron
Man", it seemed odd to not have Alfie there and whenever Minnesota got a
breakaway or a partial I felt more panic than we did last year.  Yeats and
Morrison will do alright.  Someone had to come after Dunham and Snow and
those goalies (Allison and Marsh) did ok (took us to title game in 95) and
after them came Michaud.  These are two talented goalies and it will be
quite fun to see if one of them (or hopefully both) distinguish themselves
as their predcesors have done!

Maine vs. New Brunswick Friday and the Black Bears will face their first
MAAC opponent Saturday night in the J.C. Penney Classic.

-dt