ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Vicki Price <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 1997 18:39:59 -0500
US COLLEGE PREVIEW
THN's top 10 NCAA choices
by Brian Costello

The North Dakota Fighting Sioux shocked all prognosticators by sailing to an
NCAA championship last season.

We weren't an exception. We didn't even have them ranked among out top ten.
We thought they were too young to make an impact last season. We won't be
wrong again. Even though they lost five seniors, we say the Fighting Sioux
will skate off with a second straight national title.

That's according to our panel made up of THN US college correspondents (all
pictured) Paul Harris of the Detroit Sunday Journal, Tom Boggie of the
Schenectady New York, Gazette, LARRY MAHONEY (sporting a great smile (-: by
far the best looking one in the group) of the Bangor, Maine, Daily News, and
Chris Miller of the Duluth, Minn News Tribune.

Even though we didn't pick North Dakota last season, we did well with our
other choices. Three of the four teams in the NCAA Final Four (North Dakota,
Boston University, Michigan, and Colorado College) were in our top four.
Here's this season's top ten.

1. North Dakota Fighting Sioux
(WCHA) small, quick, outfit plays agitating attacking style.
2. Boston University Terriers
(HE) Hobey Baker Award favorite Chris Drury has a strong supporting cast.
3.Michigan State Spartans
(CCHA) Ron Mason's defense-first system always produces a contender.
4. Minnesota Golden Gophers
(WCHA) Couple of key losses will hurt, but they're four lines deep at
forward.
5. Colorado College Tigers
(WCHA) Brian Swanson and goalie Judd Lambert lead by example.
6. RPI Engineers
(ECAC) Everyone back to form balanced attack. But, that doesn't mean instant
success.
7. New Hampshire Wildcats
(HE) Goaltending strong, defense even stronger.
8. Michigan Wolverines
(CCHA) Marty Turco's goaltending could take them to the final four.
9. MAINE BLACK BEARS
(HE) If their inexperienced defense matures, they'll become a force.
10. The Clarkson Golden Knights
(ECAC) Has solid defensive system that produces wins.

Article follows : Fighting Sioux Go For Two
UND unanimous choice to repeat

(sporting a great smile (-: , by far the best looking one in the group)
my insertion........(-:

Vicki Price