ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Feb 2003 10:11:27 -0500
> >    Unintended slap in the face to one of the better HEA players!?

Obviously Whitehead has to be non-commital, but Meyer not playing is huge
for Maine and does hurt BU.

> >    * "Key to the HEA playoffs" is, IMHO, winning the Championship game,
> >      not your quarterfinal draw.
> >
> >      Question: when was the last Maine quarterfinal loss at the Alfond?

Maine lost a game to Providence way back when, but I don't think they have
ever lost a quarterfinal series at Alfond, have they?

You know, several years ago Hockey East experimented with a one-game
quarterfinal.  What was interesting is that NESN covered the games at the
time and the way it worked I believe you got to see every quarterfinal
series, sans maybe one.  It also produced a couple upsets, including #8
Merrimack beating #1 BU.

Maine beat UMass that year.

> >    * Long-shot of the weekend: Maine takes 4 points from BU and UNH
takes
> >      three points from BC, resulting in a 3-way tie for HEA 1st place.
> >      Anyone know HEA tie-breakers for purpose of tournament seeding?

Here are the tiebreakers:
1.  Head-to-head
2.  Wins in conference play
3.  Best record against the first-place teams, then second-place teams, and
so on.
4.  Coin flip

By that senario and if Maine wins twice and BC only gains one point, Maine
beats tie-breaker with UNH due to 2-1 head-to-head, but would lose the
conference wins tiebreaker to BC 16-15.

Hockey East does grant shared regular season championships, so regardless of
seeding if this senario does take place Maine would be co-Regular Season
Champions.

-Deron