ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Oct 2006 01:44:18 -0400
I was also at the game.  It was great to be back in the Alfond!  A few
of my thoughts ...

* Almost all of the veterans looked improved and ready to go.

* Most of the freshmen should hope for game time, but have a long way to
go to play 2-way intense Maine hockey.  The difference between freshmen
and veterans was striking.

* Larry Mahoney described goalie Dave Wilson as a capable backup, and I
think that's right on.  I don't expect a rotation (this season), but
Wilson was definitely the 2nd best goalie in the Blue-White game.

* The other 2 6-foot 182-pound freshmen number-31 goalies seemed a step
back and not ready for much time this season.

* Teddy Purcell had great success scoring, but he also ran out of gas or
was loafing when his man scored the game-tying goal.

* Chris Hahn scored the spectacular game-winning goal in 4x4
sudden-death overtime. Wow!

* David de Kastrozza gets my "most inconsistent freshman with the
biggest upside" award.  He'll be a good one!

* Ben Bishop looked great.  No surprise there.

* My pick to get the most press, behind Leveille and Bishop, is Josh
Soares.  I look for Josh to have a very special season.

* Congratulations to all of the Blue-White game players, as they played
very well for the first official day of practice.

* I have mixed emotions when looking at how the staff  performed.
Positives were that they  (finally) got the season tickets out in time
for the game, had concessions open and the arena ready.  There was an
excellent handout table at the main entrance (and only at the main
entrance).  It had schedules for most all sports ... except for men's
and women's ice hockey.  The roster sheet was excellent with player info
and even a pronunciation guide.  It even had the schedule, something the
season ticket package omitted.  There is a schedule at
http://goblackbears.com/ , and though it recognizes TV stations doing
the games and has a link to online radio (WZON), I haven't been able to
find a printable schedule.

* I would have liked to see the 1st and 2nd assistant coaches at the
entrance greeting fans before the game.

* People will either love or hate the changes to the Alfond.  To my
surprise, the new "sky boxes" are simply carved out of sections U and V
at the south end of the arena.  Not only did it steal 100+ seats (my
estimate), but it steals the space behind sections T, U, V and W ...
making for a very cramped walkway with several twists and turns.  If you
are not lucky enough to have a sky box seat, the South end of the arena
will be a place to avoid due to crowding.

* Still no drinking fountains or telephones available to the public.

* New Plexiglas on the front rail of the balcony, protecting 1st-row
patrons (while seated).  This is good, I think, but will restrict view
of 1st-row AA and GG patrons (like me!). ;-)

* On the positive side, new handicapped viewing areas on the West side
and North end of the Arena will give "wheelchair" fans great places to
view the action.  Unfortunately, some seats were lost and some walking
space lost in the North end corners, but all-in-all this was an
excellent change.

* I've heard, but have not confirmed, that in something of a reversal of
the past several years, many of the displaced season ticket seats are
now in the 1st 3 rows of the balcony.

* With these changes, I would be surprised (and disappointed) if
standing room only tickets will be available.  There is no longer ANY
room to stand and watch the game.  Getting around at intermissions will
be even harder than in the past.  With (apparently) fewer chances for
student and occasional community entrance, expect some grumbling if the
team does well.

* The canned music at the Blue-White game certainly makes it easy to
appreciate the Maine Pep Band!

* Is the fog-horn gone?  The noise-maker used after Blue-White game
goals was not impressive.

* The game was officiated with a 4-man crew.  Although the crew was not
impressive (they weren't bad!), I liked the 4-man system used.  The
linesmen called off-sides and icing, and dropped the puck at face-offs.
The orange-striped guys called penalties and tried, less effectively, to
call goals.

* Fan turnout for the Blue-White game was about the same as recent years
... 1,500-2,000 max.  Both students and season ticket holders had the
die-hards there, but all-in-all I have to say the players and staff
"showed up" better than the fans. (Fans that did show up were enthusiastic!)

* In case it was missed, season tickets when up to $18/game this year.
Individual game tickets are $20 or (some games) $23. (all increases).
The season ticket package includes a non-optional "home" game in Portland.

This Friday (October 6) Maine and Minnesota will open the men's D-I
college hockey season at the "Hall of Fame Game" in the Xcel Center in
St. Paul.

Others see the game?  Comments, please!

cheers, wayne