ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
John Forsyth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Dec 2011 01:07:16 -0500
From 1991-93 I was a jack-of-all-trades for the hockey team, doing
everything from equipment manager to office work.  In the end, I was
primarily the team's videographer.  Some of you may recall my posts on the
old maine.hockey-l, which I consider the precursor to USCHO (even though
m.h-l is still going).

For many years I have been a supporter of Tim's.  I know him from my time in
Orono and found him to be a very friendly guy.  But reading in Nonni's email
about alumni who try to hide the fact that they played hockey at Maine
struck a nerve.  I went to North Yarmouth Academy and followed such players
as the Weinrich brothers, Mike McHugh and Eric Fenton from the school.
After my time at Maine I returned to coach at NYA and kids still dreamt of
suiting up for Maine.  Now our kids dream of following Travis Roy to BU or
Brian Dumoulin to BC.

NYA also has hired Cap Raeder as our full-time goaltender coach to work with
both boys and girls teams from junior high on up.  As I understand it, Maine
has a part-time goalie coach who is mainly in New Brunswick.  Grant wasn't
going to coach forever and I think he coached at Maine longer than he
wanted, but we should have had somebody to replace him.

Despite my support of Tim, I encouraged people to contact the Athletic
Director and/or the President's office to let them know.  I have posted the
email and postal addresses, as well as phone numbers, for both offices.
Writing anonymous comments on a message board is cowardly, accomplishes
nothing and is just an exercise in vanity.  The president, AD and anyone
else in authority does not (and should not) give credence to such anonymous
postings.  What gets their attention is letters, emails, phone calls and
even office visits - especially from alumni or donors.  Many of the morons
in the Maine thread over at USCHO are fair-weather fans (if that) who have
mocked me for a brain tumor that has disabled me and caused partial nerve
damage; and recently voiced dismay that Tim did not get caught raping boys
like Jerry Sandusky did.  They have no class, no loyalty and would rather
Maine lose games or go through a horrible scandal to get Tim fired than win
games and be successful.  Those are not supporters of the program.

I have also seen people heap criticism and aim insults at the players.  This
is, in my view, unacceptable.  Whether you believe some of these players are
inferior to what we have seen in the past is irrelevant.  They agreed to
come to Maine.  They wear the same sweater Kariya and Pellerin and Roy wore
before them.  They work just as hard, sacrifice just as much.  They
represent the school, the alumni and the fans.  They are due the same
respect and thanks that was directed at players of yesterday.

Steve Abbott
Director of Athletics
5747 Memorial Gym
Orono, Maine 04469
207-581-1052

Paul W. Ferguson
Office of the President
5703 Alumni Hall, Suite 200
Orono, ME 04469
207-581-1512

Send letters, call the office and, if you can spare the time, schedule an
appointment to meet with Abbott.  That will get his attention.  I have
written to both and hope to meet with Steve when I return to campus next
month.  I encourage people to do likewise.

John Forsyth