ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Nov 2003 11:51:59 EST
>  I guess he missed the part where Patrick Eaves (of Joe Exter fame and no Lady
> Byng candidate himself) cross-checked Ryan to the head -- and only got a 10-mi
> misconduct? ...

Actually, Patrick only got a 2-minute minor for high sticking.  Had it
been considered "violent", the official would have been obliged to
assess a DQ!

Why were matching "roughing" penalties assessed instead of hitting after
the whistle?  (I don't know!)

Why did only Prestin get a "punching" penalty, when most reports had
both parties ...  partying?  (I don't know!)

You cannot get a misconduct for fighting/punching.  You can get a
misconduct for failing to heed the orders of an official.  Examples
include continuing an altercation after the official says "OK, break it
up, boys".  Other activities can earn a misconduct such as spitting at
(anyone), failure to go to the penalty box, certain gestures and words,
and other lovely actions such as abuse of officials and unsportsman-like
conduct.

Unfortunately, Mr. McAdoo's box lists only the variety of penalty
(10-minute misconduct instead of the infraction) and USCHO Box Scores
omit penalties.  :-(

At least one former HEA Commissioner would have Mr. Ryan sit out Friday's
game, but the current one let's them play.

Was the pair of losses enough of a learning experience, or will some
Black Bears not get to suit up against Northeastern?  My guesses are

   no and no!

(OK, so I should get a 2-minute instigating penalty!)

Finally, in case it's not obvious: I'm not a referee, though I've
participated in refereeing clinics and read the rule book more than a
few times.

cheers, wayne   BRING ON DEM HUSKIES!