ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Mon, 3 Nov 2003 20:04:15 -0500
> From: John Russell Lombard <[log in to unmask]>

> almost if not all of the students who go there that I know of call it UMaine, as well as my friends out here, when we go to discuss who played over the weekend they always ask "how did UMaine do?" I can't think of
anyone besides maybe my mom (who was there in the 70's) who still calls it UMO...and she only does sparingly

It may be that the "adoption" of UMaine came about in an attempt to dissuade the use of the horrendous UMO, which still persists after all these years.  It seems that the marketing department needed to "brand" Maine and came up with the name and absodamnlutely forced the use of the name -- check out the style book fully, which smacks of UMass and UConn and other such copycat titles.

We had been Maine since 1865 and known as such -- if they wanted to get rid of UMO, as I certainly did, why not just push the use of time-honored Maine and not have to create some new phrase, and new signage and logos and symbols and colors?  Oh, and you did know about the plan to paint the block M from the face of the Field House, didn't you?  Oh, yes ... :-(

President, M Club
Co-Advisor, All Maine Women
19 Annbar Drive, Old Town ME 04468
207-827-8386