ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 2000 13:04:45 EST
Two excellent articles have appeared today on a story that has created
quite a stir over the past weeks ...

At the NY Times,

   http://www.nytimes.com/library/sports/hockey/020300hko-burlington.html

At the Washington Post,

   http://washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/sports/daily/feb00/02/vermont2.htm

Many of the Vermont players clearly do not get it.  The Vermont athletic
staff does not get it.  I hope and pray that Maine players and
administrators have better sense and the strength to keep this sort of
behavior (hazing) from happening at Maine in the future.

For those that will speak for Coach Gilligan, I'll pre-respond that
while Gilligan seems to be an honest gentleman and is well-liked, *very*
bad stuff happened ...  and he was in charge.

I'm amazed that some UVM hockey players continue to think this was OK or
a minor event.

I'm amazed that UVM hockey players continue to practice.

UVM didn't need football; UVM fans might fear for the hockey program;
UVM hockey players should fear expulsion.

Other sources of information:

   UVM President Judith Rameley's statement canceling season -

      http://www.uvm.edu/~sportspr/news/r_hkyjar.html

   US College Hockey Online has a number of stories, all available
   on their homepage -

      http://USCollegeHockey.com/

(go Maine!)

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
Co-owner of the College Hockey lists - Hockey-L and Hockey3