ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Jul 1999 05:34:24 -0700
ISLANDERS SIGN HEWARD, FERRARO

(AP) - The New York Islanders signed free-agent defenseman Jamie
Heward and center Chris Ferraro on Wednesday. Heward, who played
for the Nashville Predators last season, finished with six goals
and 12 assists in 63 games. Four of his six goals came on the
power play. "He's got a terrific shot and will see some power
play time," Islanders general manager Mike Milbury said. "He'll
be a nice complement to our defensive unit." Heward played 25
games for Toronto (1-4-5), and was in the Philadelphia Flyers'
farm system when he was chosen by the Predators in the expansion
draft. Ferraro, who grew up on Long Island, played for Edmonton's
farm team in Hamilton, Ontario, last season and led the team in
goals (35), points (76) and game-winning goals (nine). The
26-year-old also played two games with Edmonton and scored a
goal. Previously, Ferraro played for the New York Rangers and
Pittsburgh.

Terms of the deals were not disclosed. "Right now, I feel like
the luckiest person alive," Ferraro, a draft pick of the Rangers
in 1991, said. "I was an Islander fan growing up, watching the
Mike Bossys, the Bryan Trottiers, the Billy Smiths, the Denis
Potvins ... and the Butch Gorings, too." Goring is the Islanders
new coach.

===
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]
"They score! It's over!  Gustafsson wins the game and the national championship!"
- ESPN's Dave Ryan, calling Maine's game-winning goal of the 1999 national title game.