ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Ed Sczerba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 01:37:57 ~

Cathy, you wrote :

 Re: How's that Stick, Jack?   Saturday, January 24, 1998

>It's too bad that Coach Walsh had to resort to that kind of desperation
>tactic to get a call on BU.

Parker controls the tempo of a game and the ref's many times in a variety of
ways (making delayed substitutions at a face-off) and has more than his share
of discussions with the officials (received well or not). This style of
coaching is in harmony with the style of their play. The official must
therefore decide before the first face-off if he is going to keep his whistle
in his pocket or blow it continuiously all three periods.

How good is your memory out there....do you remember that Parker was
delegated to 'The Craftsman' in the Boston Globe in contrast to Coach Walsh
being 'The Cheater'?

This penalty examplifies BU 'craftsmanship' on the finer points of coaching;
the team was well aware that the stick was in question prior to that game.
The WABU-televised game Saturday color-man (Mike Erusioni <- sp?) made the
point (during Saturday's game) that some players questioned the stick, and
that this penalty was (ironically) humorous, and an act of desparation.

When the call was made by Coach Walsh it was one of those that should not
have happened at all. After all, what part of the word :'illegal' (stick)
does Parker not understand ? I guess 'ole Jack blows these kind of
infractions off, as Dingerman continued to play on without reserve. I don't
think that this penalty would have happened to OUR team, in OUR program, with
OUR Coach.

Let's just imagine how well the Bears would be publicly receieved if tables
were turned and it did happen ?

>I miss the days when most of the officials called a fair game, and the
>outcome was decided by the players, not the refs.  Calling one team really
>closely and the other very loosely is unfair.  Those of you on this list
>remember our discussion on penalties?  Well, this is one fan who firmly
>believes the outcome of that game last night was determined by Mr.
>Fitzgerald, not the two good teams on the ice.  Do I think Maine was NOT
>guilty of penalties, NO! But do I think the refs called them unfairly?  YES.

You are so right on with this one.....

And could you slide over just a bit and share that spot of :

>Still Proudly Supporting the Finest College Hockey Program in the Nation

r/
  Zerb