ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Dec 2005 20:14:57 -0500
Maine Campus Article:

Home > News
Clark, Hamilton talk about Orono incident
By: Matthew Conyers
Issue date: 12/15/05 Section: News
Article Tools: Page 1 of 1

Wednesday, University of Maine men's ice hockey players Mike Hamilton
and Wes Clark told their side of the story.

There were no TV cameras. No crowded arena. No hectic press conference.

For once, Alfond Arena was empty. The only sound that could be heard was
the soft rumble of the zamboni combing the ice.

For Hamilton and Clark, that noise was music to their ears.

After nearly a month away from the ice, the pair rejoined the Black
Bears on Monday after being cleared to practice by interim athletic
director Blake James. It marked their first skate with the team since
Nov. 16.

Monday also brought the news of their future with UMaine ice hockey.
Addressing both players individually, James suspended Hamilton for an
additional four games for initiating the brawl that occurred last month
at Washburn Place apartments, involving Hamilton and a UMaine baseball
player.

Clark, who attempted to break up the fight, did not receive an
additional suspension and was cleared to play immediately.

According to James, the decision was based on the university's student
athlete code of conduct.

The announcement came four days after the original charges of assault
and aggravated criminal trespass against the pair were reduced to
disorderly conduct. Both pleaded no contest as part of a plea agreement
in Penobscot County Superior Court in Bangor on Dec. 8, and were
sentenced to 100 hours of community service.

Both players have since expressed remorse for the incident.

"I made a mistake, and I realize what I have done," said Hamilton. "I am
so sorry for what I have put everyone through."

"It's just an unfortunate event where bad decisions occurred," said
Clark. "It's something we have to live with."

Along with community service, Hamilton was fined $500. The charges
against Clark will be dropped if he completes his service hours.

The brawl resulted in an indefinite suspension of the two from practice
and games since Nov. 16. Hamilton arrived at the victim's apartment with
Clark hoping to confront the man, who was involved with his
ex-girlfriend. After five minutes, an argument between the two escalated
and a tussle ensued.

"There definitely have been some punishments, and me and Wes have been
so remorseful," said Hamilton. "It was such an unfortunate incident. It
was so avoidable."

In addition to the athletic department, the university has addressed the
situation by giving both players 60-100 hours of community service.
Clark and Hamilton were reinstated as students last Friday.

"I guess everyone was dealt with fairly from the coach, the A.D. and the
school," said Clark.

Dean of Students Robert Dana said the university has delivered a
substantial response to the incident.

Clark and Hamilton are happy to simply have a second chance.

"Now that is over with, everyone is moving forward and we are just
trying to make it a positive thing and try to rebuild the university's
name and the hockey team's name," said Hamilton.

Part of that process is repairing relationships with the baseball team.

"Me and Wes weren't allowed to be in contact with some of those guys for
awhile," said Hamilton. "Through the hearings, we apologized and shook
hands. Both sides kind of realized that this can't happen. There are no
grudges.

"We have some good friends on that team, so the last thing anybody wants
is any more situations like this."

Another step for the two is seeking forgiveness from their team. They
had to admit their mistakes to do this.

"I think everyone makes mistakes, and there were so many things leading
up to it," said Hamilton. "There were so many better things that could
have come out of it."

Hamilton cited his teammates' support, as well as his coaches, as being
tremendously helpful through the whole ordeal.

"Every guy on the team was so supportive," said Hamilton. "Whether they
were calling you to see if you needed anything or bringing you something
to eat or whatever. Our team was so close. I think it brought our team
together in the end."

With the team on the road for games against Providence and Brown during
the initial suspension, Clark and Hamilton had plenty of time to dissect
the situation. Now they are prepared to return to ice and display their
true selves to not only the media, but the student body.

"I think that I am just going to show everyone what kind of person I am
through the next year and a half I am here," said Hamilton.

Clark echoed his teammate's sentiments.

"Don't judge a book by its cover," said Clark. "Like I said, it was
unfortunate. We made bad decisions, and we have been punished over the
last month pretty harshly.

"That's definitely not Wes Clark. I am a character guy, and I am not
that type of person."

While Hamilton refused to address the way the media portrayed the event,
Clark did not.

"At the start, the media kind of blew it way out of proportion," said
Clark. "A lot of the facts weren't really straight. They really weren't
the right facts."

Nonetheless, they are eager to put their troubles behind them.

"I think our team went through a tough time there. The guys were feeling
our pain; there was a big cloud over our head and now we have started to
move forward," said Hamilton. "It's been such a tough month, and we are
just looking to make a positive out of it and try and do the best we can
in the situation."

--
  Deron Treadwell