ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Wayne T Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Feb 2008 02:04:14 -0500
Despite being a "BC article", it was quite accurate.  I had the pleasure
to attend that game (my son and I WERE the student section (as the 10
students in attendance positioned themselves behind the north goal)).

It was one of those games where one team clearly had more talent, but
the other fought with everything they had and managed to hang around
deep into the game ... and steal the win as the shots on goal were
indicative of much of the evening.  The Maine goalie was steady,
focused.  I don't know who the stars were, but I particularly liked the
play of Maine's Stech and Hannigan.

I was particularly impressed, late in the game when Maine had a power
play, as Maine players showed tremendous control and knowledge of the
situation to control the puck looking for a great score to ice the game,
but controlling the puck first and keeping it from the talented,
desperate BC team.  Now that's team play and for me was the play of the
game and well-worth the price of admission (a donation to breast cancer
research).

I'm still not used to the referee's checking signal ... something
somewhere between a Third Reich salute and throwing a frizbee! .. but
the game was an enjoyable experience ... one I recommend to all of you
Maine hockey fans.

cheers, wayne