ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Jacob Metzler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2004 09:53:31 -0400
http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/sports/college/hockey/040916mainehockey.shtml

ORONO — "Jimmy Howard," he said facing the camera. "Goalie. Junior. The University of Maine." Fluorescent lights shone in his face, illuminating curly blond hair and a big smile.
At times, this summer couldn't go fast enough for Howard.
Wednesday, Maine's hockey players put on jerseys for the first time in chilly Alfond Arena for a team picture, posing for photos and video head shots and chatting about the upcoming season at the Black Bears' annual media day.
Howard, the goalie who made a name for himself at the Frozen Four last season, talked about why the season opener Oct. 3 can't come fast enough.
"I'm excited. Summer was way too long," Howard said, grinning. "Every year you have to come back with the frame of mind you can do even better. We were so close to winning the regular season as well as Hockey East. A chance to get back to the
(national tournament) would be great."
Maine, which lost 1-0 to Denver in the national final on April 10, will not begin practice officially until Oct. 2, a day before opening the regular season at Vermont.
For now, the players will skate in voluntary practices without their coaching staff. They'll get in their training and work out on ice whenever they can.
Howard will need to prepare for his heaviest load of games since youth hockey. Maine is without Frank Doyle, who graduated after splitting duties with Howard most of the last two seasons. Backup goalie Ray Jean transferred to Bentley College to play
more regularly.
"It's going to be a challenge. I haven't played every game in two years," said Howard. "But the two other goalies are going to push me to be my best. It's a good test for me."
Maine recruited two goalies this year: Matt Lundin, an 18-year-old freshman from Apple Valley High in Minnesota and the brother of sophomore defenseman Mike Lundin; and 19-year-old freshman Ryan Shelley of Gray, who ranks No. 3 on the depth chart.
"Common sense would say (Howard) would play (the bulk of games)," said Coach Tim Whitehead. "But Matt will challenge Jimmy. It's why we brought him in."
Shelley, who played for the Portland Junior Pirates in Biddeford last year, only found out this summer Maine was interested in him. He had plans to play junior hockey in Canada.
"I'm ecstatic. It's a dream come true," said Shelley.
Now he'll be learning from one of the nation's top goalies. Howard recorded six shutouts in 22 games last year, posting a 1.19 goals-against average and .956 save percentage, NCAA records.
"(Howard's) work ethic, just watching him in practice, the way he moves, it's unbelievable," said Shelley.
Howard's presence in goal is a calming factor for the team, said Lisbon's Greg Moore.
"Having Jimmy in net every game, we're real confident with him back there. . . . It lets us take more chances on our offense," Moore said.
Howard is not the only player eager to get back to playing.
"There's a lot of anticipation (for everyone)," said Moore. "The way the season ended left a lot of motivation for us . . . to get so close."
Whitehead is eager to get started, too.
"I want to play some games. It's the best remedy for all the teams who didn't win their last game," he said. "It's a very good motivator to try and get back there."
NOTES: Former Maine players Niko Dimitrakos and Lucas Lawson skated with the team Wednesday. Both are in limbo after the NHL owners locked out their players Wednesday when the collective bargaining agreement expired. Dimitrakos was with the San Jose
Sharks, Lawson with the New York Rangers' organization.