ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 2004 18:10:33 -0400
This email has been sent to you by Deron Treadwell ([log in to unmask]).

Comments from Sender:

This story can be found online at:
http://www.pressherald.com/sports/college/hockey/040412bearsfollow.shtml

                        Monday, April 12, 2004

                                                    The mourning after

                            By KEVIN THOMAS, Portland Press Herald Staff Writer

                          Copyright  2004 Blethen Maine Newspapers Inc.

  TITLE GAMES

Associated Press    It wasn't to be. Left to right, Robin Grondin of Belfast, Samantha Bajkowski of Howland and Meredith DeMarco of Westfield, N.J., all students at the University of Maine, watch the 1-0 loss to Denver in the NCAA final Saturday night.
      TITLE GAMES

  2004: Denver 1, Maine 0

      2002: Minnesota 4, Maine 3, OT

      1999: Maine 3, New Hampshire 2, OT

       1995: Boston U 6, Maine 2

      1993: Maine 5, Lake Superior State 4

BOSTON -- Todd Jackson wasn't ready to hear about all the good this University of Maine hockey team accomplished.

    "Our goal was to win the national championship," he said after Maine lost the championship game 1-0 to Denver on Saturday night.

    "We did a lot of great things this year, but it stings a lot right now."

    Maine Coach Tim Whitehead said, "I just feel bad for these guys, that's for sure. . . . I wish I had words to describe how we feel, but it's probably best with less said because this one really hurts."

    It stung for the coach, too. And don't tell him it will be better in the morning.

     "It obviously hurts a lot to have been here twice over the last three years and come up one goal short each time.

    "It will hurt a lot more the further we get away from it. I've been a part of these before and it really stays with you."

    Time may not heal the hurt, but it will bring into light the 2003-04 season, when a Black Bears team overachieved its way to a 33-win season, a Hockey East championship and a trip to the Frozen Four and the national title game.

    This Black Bears team wasn't known for its offense ­ an obvious missing ingredient Saturday. But it was known for hard work. Coach after opposing coach commented on how strong Maine skated in each zone, never yielding.

    "They are a very difficult team to play against," said Boston College Coach Jerry York, who saw his touted team lose 3 of 4 to the Black Bears this year.

    Those BC wins were big. Other games defined the season.

     Maine started the season Oct. 10 with a 4-0 rout of Minnesota, the two-time defending national champion.

    It may have been the most important opener for Maine because it sent a message to these young Black Bears that they could be a contender on the national stage.

    Maine attained a No. 1 ranking in the polls by Nov. 3. It was much too soon. And in the Black Bears' first game against Boston College four days later, they brought their ranking but not the effort needed. BC romped, 4-1.

     Another defining game was the Massachusetts game Jan. 17 at Alfond Arena. The Minutemen scored first on a power play in the first period and then sat on their lead, taking few chances and packing in the defense. Sound familiar? Maine got only 22 shots on goal and UMass won, 1-0. It would be the first of three 1-0 losses by Howard.

      But Maine was still a power. Look at the New Hampshire series in late January. The Black Bears dominated with a sweep, 5-4 and 5-0. Howard shut out the Wildcats on the second night.

   Looking back at the UMass-Lowell game Feb. 27, it marked the start of the Black Bears' run. Maine tried to get too fancy with the puck that night instead of sticking to its system of tight passes and putting the puck on net. Lowell won, 3-2. It woke up the Black Bears, who won their next 10 games.

    That 10-game streak was a marvel. It started with Howard shutouts of Lowell (4-0) and BC (3-0), and finished with eight exciting one-goal games.

    In five of those eight games, Maine scored two goals or fewer.

     "Jimmy really carried us through the end of the season," Derek Damon of the Black Bears said.

    Howard and the other goalie, Frank Doyle, were the backbones. Howard got all the starts the last three weekends because his play was clearly sensational.

    And all this despite the Hobey Baker committee in January leaving Howard off its long list of candidates for the award as college hockey's best player.

    Howard, who was coming off an injury at the time, turned in one of the greatest college hockey seasons for a goalie and was snubbed.

    One interesting part of Howard's statistics is his 14-4-3 record. Take away the 4-1 BC loss and he allowed a total of six goals combined in his other losses and ties.

    No offensive support. And the Denver game showcased the Achilles' heel of the Black Bears.

    "It caught up with us," Jackson said.

    Part of the problem was the Black Bears struggled with their power play most of the season. They went 0 of 7 on Saturday.

    Early in the third period, when Maine got another chance to tie with its fifth power play, the Black Bears never set up in Denver's zone. The Pioneers cleared the puck five times.

    Then came the last minute-plus when Maine had a five-on-three advantage, then pulled Howard for a six-on-three.

    "Their goalie stood on his head," Jimmy Howard said of Adam Berkhoel. Howard knows all about compliments. He's been hearing them all year.

    Howard talked about next year. Yes, Maine will miss the leadership provided by Jackson and the assistant captain, Prestin Ryan.

    "But we have a wealth of the team coming back," Jackson said. "We have a lot of guys who will fill those roles next year."

    Another assistant captain, Jeff Mushaluk, will be back as a leader, as will a group of juniors who had strong years, including forwards John Ronan, Ben Murphy and Jon Jankus.

    "This is hard," Jankus said after Saturday's game, "but I'm already looking forward to the next one."

    The next one will be coming soon, well before the hurt from this one goes away.

    "But we have it in perspective," Whitehead said. "No one has been killed here. This is hockey, not the war in Iraq. We have it in perspective.

    "But to be honest with you, yes, it will hurt for a long time. When you've been there you always remember the losses. They stay with you. We have to get back every year, stay determined, get back and eventually we'll win another one.

     "I'm sure on the ride back (to Orono), Grant (Standbrook), the other coaches and I will already be mapping out our plans for next season."

    If it's anything like this past season, it will be worth applauding.

    Staff Writer Kevin Thomas can be contacted at 791-6411 or at:  [log in to unmask]