ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Doug Libbey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 12:52:26 -0800
I certainly call the loss to UML a let down.  And I
will tell ya a couple reasons why.  This weekend,
Maine held a lot of its own fate in their own hands.
A weekend sweep of a team that they certainly should
have swept this time of year, gave them a VERY legit
shot at a Hockey East regular season title.  UNH is a
very capable team of taking at least a point from BC,
and they did just what Maine needed them to do.  Some
fans might not want that title all that bad, but you
know those players did, they just went about getting
it all wrong.  Another reason this is a let down is
this.  Look at the subject line of this thread.  Colin
Shields himself told the Portland Press Herald that
the team let their guard down.  To me that is not
acceptable.  The players obviously felt the same way
as they went out and gave Lowell "an old fashioned
whoopin'" shutting out UML 4-0.

And I never said Walsh's team never had let downs.  I
saw a few of them personally.  But like a lot of folks
have said, when he saw them coming he let the boys
have it one way or another and the trend did not
continue.  And as I said earlier, I kinda like how
Whitehead (might have) handled it.  He seemed to have
wanted to let his players see what happens when you do
let your guard down.  Sometimes learning by experience
is better than learning by having a coach get angry
with you.  It looks to me that Timmy let the team
suffer from their own mistake.  By that 4-0 win, his
method seemed to work.

It looks like Maine could be playing Lowell up at the
Alfond in the opening round of the HE Tourney.  It
will be a nice opportunity at getting a bit of
revenge.  And to prove they can dominate a team two
nights in a row like the (almost) did vs. UNH.