ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Dan Doucette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 11:07:45 -0500
The problem is that Maine can't sustain momentum and put away a Hockey East
opponent in a two-game series against the same HE team in a single weekend.
 The HE schedule in January and February each year is comprised mostly of
these two-game series.

The LAST time Maine had a two game four-point weekend sweep of a Hockey East
opponent was January 10-11 of last year against Northeastern at the Alfond.
 In fact it was the ONLY time they did that last year !!

Of the 36 possible "points" last year in such series (including the final
home series against Mass. in the HE playoffs), Maine earned only 20 points,
 or 55 % of total.

This year they have not done it in two series attempts and are firing at
only 50 % of possible points available in such series.

Those of you who surf USCHO boards know certain flame warriors will single
out one person to blame for this.  It is much more complicated than harping
on one factor only: it is a combination of factors which have the program in
this rut.   It should be realized as a problem and all solutions tried.

I saw our recent "fan intensity" thread here and think that is but one
solution among several, but it is something we can do on our part to help.

Of course my suggestion would be they need to shoot the puck more when
crossing into the offensive zone, instead of setting up fancy passes....