ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jan 2004 15:43:48 -0800
This discussion has reminded me of another topic that I have wanted to
bring up.

Maine hockey's reach to southern Maine is hurting.  Southern Maine is
starving for Maine hockey, and before you think otherwise note the 6900
people that showed up to see Maine play a lower-echelon ECAC team
(Vermont) right after the holidays!!

This year we have finally see a TV station (WMTW, THANK YOU!) finally
pick up more than just one or two games that WABI produces and makes
available to southern Maine stations (for a fee).  But we DO NOT get
regular radio coverage in southern Maine, which is embarassing and a
travesty.  Don't be fooled when you here that WJAB in Portland is part
of the radio network.. WZON says that every game and we hear that while
we are listening to the game on the Internet because it isn't on the
radio.  They cover at best 3-4 games a month and that didn't start
until later in the year.

This is important for many reasons, but a couple off the top of my head
are fundraising and talent:

A large proportion of Maine's income is in the southern half of the
state.  If you are a potential donor, are you going to donate to a
program that gets little expose in your area?  While all of this isn't
necessarily the university's fault, the university pays a public
relations price because of it.  If every game was on the radio down
here, it would be more likely to have more games on tv and more money
could potentially be generated.

Never having run an athletic department, I have no clue what's being
done or what to suggest, just that I know the end result could be
better because the level of interest for Maine Hockey down here is
OBVIOUS when you see how they pack the Civic Center the last few years.

But, I am more concerned with the talent problem.  Last year, my mother
who is a teacher (and ME-HOCKEY list member) was telling me about her
former student who is a goalie for the local high school team, born and
bred a Maine kid.  His dream was to play hockey for UNH.  After I got
back from throwing up, I realized that the reason why is that UNH
Public Television is available on some southern Maine cable systems and
on the radio and FREE streaming video online.  Since he could not see
regular MAINE games or listen to MAINE games, he gravitated toward UNH.

Maine high school talent has not been regarded over the years as
Division I material, but that is changing.  Hockey has exploded all
over the state, but especially where all the people are -- South of
Bangor.  We've seen great talents go outside of Maine, Matt Libby from
Saco who had a great career at Providence comes to mind.  Yes, we can't
keep all the kids in Southern Maine in the state, but Maine high school
hockey is improving fast.  Look at kids like Greg Moore and Derek Damon
as examples.

There are simply more kids playing hockey in the south than in the
north, and there are great traditions in the Lewiston-area for instance
(only being helped by the Major Junior team in town).  I don't see many
people where Maine hockey hats, or jersey's in town.  Why not?  Maine
is a NATIONAL HOCKEY POWER.

This is a long rant, but the point is that I share Clair's fear that
Maine hockey is becoming more localized and less the "State of Maine's
Team" and that while there are some positives, it's important that we
build on those and not take steps backwards, for the overall good of
our program.

=====
Deron Treadwell -- [log in to unmask]
Unofficial Maine Web Site:  http://www.blackbears.net