ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Bruce Hale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Dec 2007 10:59:10 -0500
List, I thought the List would enjoy a positive success story on one of our
former and local players. I saw Derek play for the Albany River Rats (AHL)
vs. the Hershey Bears in Hershey last night. He was called up from the
Florida Everblades a couple a weeks ago after leading the league in scoring
for a couple of weeks. He played well in front of the net and on the boards
on offense and is being used on the Power Play in front of the net.  He had
a rebound goal on a power play in the second period and then had the
winning goal in the shoot-out after a scoreless overtime. He made a great
fake on the goaltender and got him to go down and then held the puck until
the last minute and wristed a forehand over his blocker to score the second
shoot-out goal. Albany ended up with the win after the 3-3 tie in
regulation.
I talked with Derek after the game and he looks great and is excited to be
playing in the AHL. He knows he needs to work on his speed and skating, but
is confident he can play and score goals. He is using Ben Guite as his role
model of hard work and perseverance in front of the net and on special
teams. He has grown into a serious, hard-working young man since I advised
him at Maine. A true example of Shawn's motto of making the best of what
you have! Enjoy the holidays. Bruce Hale, Director of Academic Support for
Student-Athletes, 1998-2003.