ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Lisa Sockbeson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Oct 1997 15:50:39 -0800
Living in California I am only able to see
professional hockey games.  I thought that it would
be exciting to watch the NHL on a regular basis but I
find that it really pales when compared to college
hockey.  Why?  First off, the arenas that I have
lived near are the LA Kings last year and the San
Jose Sharks this year.  Both teams are cellar
dwellers. I've been very spoiled having watched the
Black Bears & being able to reasonably expect to be
cheering for the winning team :-)

But mostly I miss the college atmosphere.  I miss the
enthusiasm and speed with which college players
skate. Maine teams have a strong work ethic which
makes being a spectator much more fun.  But secondly
I miss the college band & the blue line club.  The
band in particular adds to the liveliness of the
crowd.  Somehow having live music pulls the fans out
& makes them participate.  Canned music is more of a
backgroud effect.  Bring the band back!!!

> Pep band had been scheduled to go with the football
team for three months, I
> was told.  The decision was made by Scott Lowenburg
to play music over the
> sound system instead.  Interested in any comments
about this!