ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Bill Dewkett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2007 17:49:04 -0500
This interview of Tim by Dave Henderson says it all...especially the last
paragraph!!  IMHO Tim keeps things in perspective especially that sometimes
you need to let individuals learn from their own mistakes instead of being
shown the easy answer. It makes for a stronger individual and a stronger
team.

Go Blue!!! Sweep the 'Cats

"Part of it is just a mindset when you win or lose," Whitehead says. "At the
start of the year, our team had that confidence. Then when we dropped a
couple, we struggled. We bounced back and recaptured that [confidence] when
we went undefeated in the month of December, before and after the break when
we won the [Florida College Classic]. That was very good for us.

"Our inconsistency started there. It's just been little things. There's no
one big reason. It's just a combination of not executing the little things
consistently and a few injuries. But we've had [injuries] all year; that
should not be an excuse. When those things happen, you just have to buckle
down."

"It's been difficult for our players to deal with the reality that there's a
fine line between all teams and that we're a good team but we're not a great
team, and as a result we're going to have to be at our very best every
night. Everybody is gunning for us, especially when they come up here to the
Alfond."

"We've had such a strong record up here each year," Whitehead says. "Now
when we have a disappointing performance here, our players are putting a lot
more pressure on themselves. They don't want to let the fans down.

"It's a self-fullfilling cycle. We're gripping our sticks quite tightly and
getting very frustrated with each little mistake. That starts the train
rolling in the wrong direction.

"We've been able to get back on the tracks each weekend for one of the two
nights, but that's not good enough. That's not what we expect of ourselves
and certainly not at home.

"To have a record at home like this has been very frustrating for all of us
because we know it means so much to the community up here."

At least the fans are still standing behind the team.

"The fans have stuck behind us and we obviously appreciate that very much,"
Whitehead says. "I think that's why the players are so disappointed in
themselves. We're putting a lot of pressure on ourselves to win and that's
not necessarily healthy sometimes.

"Some pressure is healthy, but I think our players need to take a step back
and realize we need to do this as a team. The biggest problem we've had has
been because the guys have wanted to win so badly at home that we've tried
to do too much individually. That's really been the source of our issues.

"We're nowhere near where we need to be as far as earning back respect from
our home fans and as far as getting back into the mix in Hockey East and
nationally. We have a long way to go, but Saturday was a good step as far as
how we played. We really did play as a team. We blocked a lot of shots, won
a lot of loose pucks, and really played hard defensively. You could really
see a concerted effort to stick to the game plan and do the things that were
such a source of strength for us early in the year and we just got away
from."

"It's going to take a lot of teamwork, a lot of individual effort steered
toward the team's goals," Whitehead says. "We're excited about the
challenge. We've seen some flashes of what we can do when we play together
as a team. We've also been slapped in the face a lot when we've tried to
play as individuals. That's not going to get us anywhere.