ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Kevin Tompkins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Feb 1999 09:52:15 -0500
I think Gionta is the key for BC.  When he is on, the team seems
to be on.  Bellefeuille and Farkas are streaky players - dangerous
at times.    Mottau, Allen and now Orpik shore up a good crop of
blue-liners....

However,  I think the real problem for BC (I have said this since the
first time I saw him play last year) is between the pipes.  I have never
thought Clemmensen was up there with the elite goaltenders of
the league (i.e. Michaud, Conklin, Larocque, and Matile when he's on).
I strongly believe his numbers are good mostly due to the fact that
BC's strong defense more than amply make up for his glaring
weaknesses.  If he happens to be on - like he was for the NCAA
tourney run last year - BC has a chance.  Otherwise Gionta and
company have to play at a very high level for BC to do well.  It
seems evident to me that this fact bears out this year.  BC now
has 9 losses - almost unbelievable when you consider their lineup.
I can only point to 1 thing - Clemmensen cannot keep them in
games where the team is a little sluggish in front of him.  However,
look how many games BU has been in due to the play of Larocque
(and it's pretty obvious that BU's talent level is way, way down
this year).  I also think Maine and UNH have benefited from strong
goaltending when they have played some so-so hockey this year.
Just my $.02....

Thoughts?

- Kevin

--
  Kevin C. Tompkins                     Comverse Network Systems
  phone/vmx = 1-888-525-3934 (x2251)    [log in to unmask]