ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Feb 1999 16:02:43 -0500
Some random thoughts of mine on recent topics...

- I too miss Bob Norton, even though I agree he was somewhat slanted.
Norton is absolutely excited about hockey, at all levels.  His exuberance
sometimes causes him to mis-speak slightly, but that is what is great about
it.  Cap Raeder almost sounds bored or like he is sleeping at times.  FOX
could definitely find a better color guy, but it will always be hard to
beat Norton.

- I watched the entire UNH/Maine broadcast last night (since I was at the
game never saw it) and I noticed a few things.  First, Krog was over hyped
during the game, but I felt Steve Kariya not only looked better on tape,
but that the broadcasters noted it.  Sure, they didn't refer to him as
"hobey baker candidate", but let's face it, Stevie wasn't a finalist last
year, Krog was.  Krog is the nation's leading scorer.  But you know what, I
bet Maine fans will think Brian Gionta is better once they see him this
weekend.  I do.

- Krog's interview between first and second period he came off as an
arrogant piece of work.

- All the commercials in the world don't change the fact that you are now
0-2 vs. Maine this year, Mr. Krog, and in fact you have lost the last five
games to Maine, including three in your own building.  I'm still disgusted
by this commercial.  UNH should be ashamed of themselves.  Maybe we should
start a "Shawn Walsh -- Coach of the Year Candidate" commercial and run it
on FOX.  I bet they'd love that.

- Sean Grande is a piece of work as well, condesending.  Check this random
thought.  My take on Grande after watching him on this tape, but also all
of his games last year and this year to-date is that he "thinks" he is
getting away with these little jabs at people because the audience isn't
smart enough to pick it up.  Check it out and see if you agree.  I felt he
took some very careful shots at Shawn Walsh and at Maine fans, though I
will also say he was also complementary of them for the overall most part,
but there was one part when he absolutely put down the "Naked Five", not to
mention the subtle putdowns on both his broadcast partners.  Joe Carr
definitely does a better job (as he did a better job on Radio).  Best
hockey play-by-play man is still Gary Thorne if you ask me.. ESPN has a
gem!  I also miss one of Norton's partners, Bob Kurtz I believe was the
name.  His "HE SCORES" still rings true to me.

- I hope everyone realizes how special this season is.  For year's we've
endured the "cheaters" comments and heard how evil Shawn Walsh is.
Certainly many were deeply hurt and saddened by everything that happened,
but folks, this team is special.  We will almost certainly play on home ice
in March, and right now are leading Hockey East.  We could win the HE title
and we are very possibly heading down the road to returning to the NCAA
Tournament.  If the season ended today, we'd be the #1 seed in the East
Regional.  Realize that for years people have always questioned Maine's
accomplishments or seek to put an asterisk by Maine's titles.  No more.
Everything we earn from now on can never be questioned and never taken away
from us.  That is a sweet feeling.
---
Deron Treadwell - [log in to unmask]

"Any idiot can face a crisis -- it's this day-to-day living
that wears you out."    - Anton Chekhov