ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 15:40:28 EST
I just want any and all games on tv.  I don't care which channel.  I sit and
listen to WZON and watch the play on the telly.  That's the one thing that I
dislike about watching home games after it's over - no Dan & Blair!

Actually, one of the Fox announcers was a former coach at UNH.  I can't
remember which guy.  I thought their commentary quite biased in favor of UNH.
It was all with the slant of what UNH would have to do to beat Maine.  It
dissected UNH's plays, and then threw in a comment about one thing some Bear
did, either in reaction to UNH's great play, or as kind of an aside.  It's a
subtle thing, with the net result of unconsciously aligning the unwary
listener to one side.  I think it reflects the unconscious bias of the
announcers and is not neccessarily a conscious attitude.  Heck, with his
background it may be he was just analyzing the aspects he was familiar with.
BUT then, aren't we Bear fans used to bias!?!?  We heard it from Mr. Norton
for years on NESN!

However the camera angles were fine, and they caught the majority of the
pertinent action and replayed well.

Cathy Hart