ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Lisa Garrett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Feb 1999 09:54:28 -0800
I agree with Lindsay that FOXNE did a good job of
covering the game - not only the play action but also
the atmosphere.  Their commentary was also not the
one sided commentary that I usually hear when a
Boston station covers a Maine game.

I was disappointed, though, in the way the
sportscaster hyped Krogg.  They referred Hobey Baker
candidacy at least a dozen times.  That would have
been OK had they hyped Kariya in the same way.  But
the only mention that Kariya is a Hobey Baker
Candidate was a comment that went something like
"Kariya has really stepped up his play today because
he is in contention with Krogg for the top player
award."  (I must admit that I did not see the first
20 seconds of Kariya's interview, so they may have
mentioned it then).  Between the Krogg commercial
(which they aired *at least* 3 times) and the
groveling the announcers were doing, it was quite
nauseating.  Does Krogg have relatives in high
ranking positions at FOXNE?

All-in-all FOXNE could not have chosen a better game
to cover.  Hopefully, one of they will choose the
ME-UNH rematch as one of their wild card games.

---Lindsay A Huntoon <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dan and I watched tonight's game on Fox Sports New
England.  We could feel
> the electricity inside the Alfond as far away as
Peabody.  It really seemed
> like the place was rocking; and I was sitting on
the edge of my seat for
> most of the game.
>
> Fox did a great job of covering the game; they
interviewed some of the fans
> (including one guy who comes down for every game
from Presque Isle), and
> showed quite a few crowd shots.  One of their
reporters was even inside of
> Stephen King's box.  The announcers were intriqued
with the "Naked Five",
> and even gave them their award for "Rabid Fan(s) of
the Game".  They
> interviewed Kariya during one of the intermissions,
and Kerluke after the
> game -- both of whom praised the crowd and said it
really got them into the
> game.  They even had a mike on Coach Walsh for part
of the game (not live
> though).
>
> Saw the "Krog for Hobey Baker Award" commercial -
pretty sickening.

> Although Dan and I don't usually hand out "Stein
Awards" for games we don't
> attend, we'd like to give a special Stein Award to
the fan in the balcony
> who was holding up a "No Trespassing" sign.  Now
that was funny.

> I'm counting the days until Saturday when we
finally get to see a game from
> INSIDE the Alfond.  I'm already warming up my vocal
cords.

> Until then....  M-A-I-N-E.....GOOOOOOOOO
BLUUUUUUUE!!!!!!!!