ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
From:
Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Feb 1999 20:55:24 EST
If you go to USCHO and read the posting there, this was not a case of kids
hanging out in an enpty lot, or in a large group.  It seems the hockey players
were part of a group of kids who went to settle a score at someone's apartment
and were charged for criminal trespass.

I have found fascinating the differences between campuses dealing with this
sort of misbehavior.  UMaine students would have been off the team until the
situation was clarified and the student cleared of the charges, or expelled.
Coach Walsh would somehow have been blamed by the flatlander fans.  Our AD
would be calling for investigation of the incident before anyone in the media
knew it had happened.  Look at the differences!  I prefer the Maine way!  I
have all the sympathy in the world for student athletes, especially in the
high profile sports, but if UNH'S Coach,  team, program and university all
tolerate this kind of activity, even through benign neglect, they send the
wrong meesage to the student athletes, the student body and the public that
pays the bills.

Cathy Hart