UROCK Archives

Univ College Rockland Students

UROCK@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Thu, 31 Jan 2008 14:38:15 -0500
From:
Deborah Meehan <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
Univ College Rockland Students <[log in to unmask]>
*   NEW YORK!! NEW YORK!! - Sign up is now open for the NYC trip.  For just $200 students will get transportation and accommodations for an NYC trip May 14 - 18.  Join other students for shopping, galleries, museums, Broadway.  It's a good deal!  And, if you want to include someone who is not a student, the charge for that person is $400.  See Beverly to sign up.

*    If you are a degree candidate OR taking 12 or more credits as a non-degree student, AND born after 1956, you are now required by Maine State law to have a second mumps vaccination.  This is not a URock law, or a University law, but rather a State law just passed as an emergency measure by the Maine State Legislature.  Apparently, mumps are alive and well as a dangerous, infectious disease in Maine.  We are looking into perhaps sponsoring a clinic to make the vaccine accessible.  If it seems economical and practical, we'll do it.  Stay tuned.

*   Tracy Camber (student) will run a workshop on "Getting the Most from Your Blackboard Course".  This is highly recommended for those of you taking online and/or Blackboard supported classes.  Tracy will teach from her personal experiences as a distant student.  Come and learn all the features of Blackboard so you maximize this instructional platform.  Thursday, Feb 7th at 1:00PM.

*  Summer Registration:  For the first time we will have a "preregistration" period for summer courses.  This means that starting March 10th (degree students) and March 13 (non degree), students may register with no payment.  This will continue until May 2nd when money will be due.

* Fall Registration: Fall preregistration will begin March 31st (degree) and April 7th (non degree students) with no payment due.  Fall registration will be taking place in the University System's new "Maine Street" Student Information System.  All of the staff are a bit nervous about "going live" with this new system so stay alert for messages as we transition to Maine Street.

* Camden Toboggan Nations Race:  There's still time for a "college team" to join the Toboggan Nationals on Feb 8, 9th, 10th.  For those who may want to race as URockers, contact Tracy Camber as the SA may sponsor a team if interest is high.

* The SA will playfully celebrate Mardi Gras with mask making in the lounge on Tuesday, March 5th all day.  It should be fun and messy (sorry Jim!).

* Finally, staff finished the URock Newsletter yesterday.  We have printed some for the lounge but we're trying not to overprint.  There's good information in the newsletter so it's worth checking for events, workshops and the details of the summer onsite schedule. .  A link to the newsletter is on the home page of the URock website.  Please read it there.

Deborah Meehan, Director
University College at Rockland
91 Camden Street, Suite 402
Rockland, ME 04841