JBS-L Archives

- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine

JBS-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine <[log in to unmask]>
From:
galeflagg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Aug 2002 14:53:13 -0400
Hi, All,   VIsted the Frenchville Ledges a few days ago. The owners, Hal and Emma Underhill, have graciously given me acess to the ledges. A nice collection of St. John RIver rare plants there---New England Violet, ST. John Oxytrope, Cut-leaved Anenome, etc..
           On the edge of the high bank in front of their house, I spotted a bush with tulip tree leaves. There are several stems, as if it had been cut off and resprouted. Underhills have been there four years. It has never flowered. Everything is right for Liriodendron tulipifera except the multi stems. A real curiosity. We suppose some prvious owner must have planted it there. Or does anyone know of a variety that is ahrub like?
             Sorry to miss Hebron--On the Tuesday of that week UMFK cancelled the Newfoundland-Labrador trip. Sure wish they had done that a few days earlier!
                 Gale Flagg