ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
The Chesleys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Nov 2007 12:22:34 -0500
Well Jim, I agree with you. As usual. Especially in the case where there
is a discussion between officials after a call.  Come on guys, even NHL
officials are influenced by fans.  I've never reffed hockey at the D-1
level but I have reffed youth hockey, soccer, and softball.  Sometimes
you're pretty sure that you saw something a particular way but not
totally positive because of your particular viewing angle.  But when 90%
of the fans saw something and have a strong reaction (especially
knowledgeable fans, like at the Alfond) you can bet that the officials
are paying attention. After all,  fans don't intentionally make up
things to yell about to influence the calling of a game.  The refs know
this.  This is especially true when a visiting player is bending the
rules and is making cheap shots.  This can help the ref to pay a little
more attention to that particular player.   Also, the booth replay
officials will likely be somewhat influenced by crowd reaction in
determining whether to review a goal.  Or maybe when a player dives and
gets the call and the ref is thinking about whether it was actually more
of a dive.  Well when a hundred fans start yelling "DIVE" that ref will
be watching that player a little more carefully the next time.

Fans do have influence, not because they are one-sided but because they
are closely watching the game and are knowledgeable about hockey and the
rules.  More than anything the refs want to get it right and factor in
all the information available to them.  It's pretty rare for a ref to
actually alter a call but I have seen it and I have suspected that fan
reaction did have some influence.  But generally fan influence is going
to be more subtle.

The important thing though is that the players hear and appreciate our
support.  Yelling is a good thing!  Don't leave it up to the student
section!

GO BLUE!!!

Clair '71

PS:  I thought that "asinine" was over the top and disrespectful to one
of the most valuable and knowledgeable contributors to this list.