ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
nonni daly <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 11:50:06 -0500
From: "Spiros Polemis" <[log in to unmask]>

> It's likely not necessary to wait for an official announcement since
> Maine is now the number one seed in the HE tournament.
>
> In any tournament, the number one seed would play in the "showcase" time
> slot. In this case that would be the 8 pm game. Mass vs UNH would play
> in the matinée time slot (5 pm).

That is not always the case.  I can remember many occasions when the
decisions on who would play when were made strictly on the number of fans a
competing team can bring and the need to make it easiest for them to get
there.  If Maine draws a lot of fans -- and they do -- they could get the
second game only because it would give the fans time to work part of the day
and still get to Boston for the second game on Friday night.

Please keep in mind that Hockey East doesn't charge member fees and tries to
make its operating budget on merchandising, contracts and the tournament
gate.  They will play the teams that bring the butts through the doors and
into the seats -- it is strictly an economic decision ... and understandably
so.