ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
"Wayne T. Smith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Feb 2001 11:03:07 EST
Deron wrote, in part..
>is there really a chance Maine would finish 8th?

Maine has 14 points in 15 games, good for a tie for 5th place w/NU (16
games).  Behind us with 13 points are UMA (16 games) and UML (15 games).
Trailing the pack with 11 points is MC (16 games).

So we're 1 point out of 8th place now with *9* games to play, and only 3
points out of 9th place.  Game in hand in each case,

Let's briefly look at those remaining 9 games.

This weekend is UNH.  This game is a toss-up.  CHODR has the game at
2.26-2.22;  other ratings systems also have it close.  We've scored only
1 goal in 2 games (at UNH) this season.  Tough points;  very big game;
a win could rejuvenate the team and fans.  (UNH travels to MC his
Friday.  That game could take some of the sting out of the UNH
home-and-home loss to BU last week and tell us something about both
teams).

Next week is away at Amherst.  UMA lost at Orono 3-2 in December.  We
might expect and hope for 2-4 points.  A loss here make the 8th or 9th
place possibility more likely.

The following week we host UML.  In their last 11 games, UML is 7-3-3.
Because of home ice, we might be favored, but this series could sweep
either way.

We end February at Merrimack.  The good news is that MC is in last place
and giving up more goals than anyone else in HEA.  The bad news is they
have season wins over BU, BC and others, with an early-season tie with
consensus D-I leader Michigan State.  Hope for 2-4 points;  again, this
is a key series whether Maine is hot then or not.

The regular season ends hosting Providence.  PC is currently tied for
3rd in HEA with 2 more points than Maine (in only 14 games).  This will
be the conclusion to a killer portion of the PC schedule (BC-1, UNH-1,
BU-2 and UML-2).  PC will either be dead or a very tough opponent.  With
their excellent goalie, I don't think they will be dead.

On the other hand, an optimist would say we're in excellent shape for
4th place and nudging PC out of the final home ice slot in the HEA
playoffs.  3rd place is not out of the question.

Deron might sound like a pessimist, but I think he's an optimist. :-)

I think Coach Walsh will play the gazillion Gionta goals to the players
a gazillion times, they'll go 'Oh, yea, that's easy.  That's how you
score.', Walsh will re-invent the defense and the offense will take care
of itself.  Final regular season 9-game record: 7-1-1.  Order those HEA
play-in tix soon.  :-)

cheers, wayne

Wayne T. Smith
[log in to unmask]                          Old Town Landing
The College Hockey lists, Hockey-L and Hockey3 at http://lists.Maine.edu/