ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Nov 2000 16:33:06 -0500
Wayne Wrote:
> Maine will be *significantly* better next year, IMHO.  With only 3 or 4
> completing eligibility, the team will be older, more experienced.  2,
> maybe 3, of the new players next year may be better goal scorers than
> anyone that is now playing.

I agree with Wayne's assessment that Maine will be a very, very good team
next year.  When you look at the players who take the ice shift after shift
you see how many freshman and sophomores that the Black Bears have.  They
are very young.  Next year with the additions, and more experience and now
*at least* two quality goaltenders, next year looks very promising indeed.

That is not to write off this year.  I expect Maine will have home ice for
the HE quarterfinals and will have an opportunity to make the NCAA
Tournament.  That's a great year for sure, we've just been spoiled by so
much success.

It was very important for Maine to beat Merrimack, and it was nice for them
to score a few goals.  Hopefully that will help their confidence.

That said, I'm anxious to see Don Richardson play come the end of the fall
semester, not to mention how nice it will be to finally see Niko lace 'em
up.  He's a proven clutch player and once he gets up to speed should help
the offense.

Brendan Donovan was a nice addition to the Kariya-Trattnig line Friday
night.

> Maine dominated for periods tonight, yet allowed many "Grade-A"
> opportunities for for MC, mostly coverage chances, IMHO.  A more
> experienced Maine won't make those same mistakes next year ...  and
> maybe not later this year.

I agree with this as well.  Maine threw the puck away too many times versus
Merrimack and did not pay the price.  Maine's defense always gets better by
the end of the year, but I've been a little disappointed in the play of some
of our defensemen to this point.  By no means am I suggesting that they are
"bad", but we have 3 very experienced defensemen in Janik, Begg and Metcalf
and I think they can elevate their play somewhat.

If Janik and Metcalf return next year, along with our recruiting class,
Maine will be very strong on the blueline.

That's enough from me for right now..  :-)

-dt