ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Cathy Hart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2000 09:43:55 EST
Yes, most of "we" have moved beyond it, even though it seems some people so
completely identify Coach Walsh with the Maine Hockey program that they
cannot separate support of the program from support of the Coach.  I still
believe that the AD acted bravely by NOT firing Coach.  She (and whomever
else was involved in the decision) chose to look beyond the typical knee jerk
reaction and see a man who deserved forgiveness and a second chance.  How
many of us have needed that in our lives?

I would also like to add, for the ten-thousandth time, that while Coach Walsh
is responsible for some of the "troubles" (and has said so in public ), the
major responsibility firmly resides in the failure of the department to fund
Compliance to the level needed for nationally ranked teams.  (Taken one step
further, we could once again beat the horse that the State of Maine is
responsible because the University is not funded the way it should be.  How
about a debate on the merits of the "System"?)  Woody Carville needed more res
ources than he had for him to keep control of the situation, but finances
were so tight the Athletic Administration screwed up on the priorities until
it was burned.  Don't forget, the investigation went back TEN years, far
further than the investigations at places like Michigan State.  All the
Coach's at UMaine often had to act as their own compliance officers as
situations arose that needed immediate action, action which could not be
provided as the department stood.  Things changed radically when Tammy Light
developed a comprehensive system of checks and balances, combined with an
education program, handbooks, etc. (BTW, is that still in place?)  The truth
is that there is not one person who can legitimately be solely blamed for the
"troubles."  This forces one to work one's brain out of the scapegoat
mentality to wrap around the concept that fault lies in many places for that
painful episode.  It is not an easy thing, but I am certain, given the facts,
most people could make that mental leap.

Hopefully that sort of situation will never be allowed happen again.  In the
meantime, we have retained a nationally recognized program, won one more NCAA
championship, and are still attracting players who are not only pretty dang
good on the ice, but are also young men I am proud to invite into my home for
an "occasional" dinner (at least until Eiranne is old enough to date them,
then we'll see!).  Coach's good, old fashioned, perhaps Catholic values are
seen in the way these guys act off the ice.  It takes a lot of discipline to
be a student athlete, and they deserve our support!

GO MAINE!

Cathy Hart