ME-HOCKEY Archives

The Maine Hockey Discussion List

ME-HOCKEY@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Deron Treadwell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Sep 1999 09:58:10 -0400
Schedule will challenge UM hockey men's team
By Larry Mahoney

In addition to its 24 Hockey East games, the schedule for the University of
Maine men's hockey team features a diverse list of non-league games including
at least three games against NCAA Tournament teams from last season.
Maine will visit Ohio State, whom the Bears eliminated in the first round of
the NCAA Tournament last spring, for a two-game series on Oct. 29-31 and will
take on NCAA quarterfinalist Colorado College in the first round of the Denver
Cup Tournament on Dec. 31.
The Bears will play at least two games against teams from four of the other
Division I conferences: WCHA, CCHA, ECAC and the Metro Atlantic Athletic
(Hockey) Conference.
The MAAC is in its second year of Division I existence.
Maine did not play a MAAC team last year.
Ben Guite, one of the alternate captains, said players from the MAAC schools
were overlooked by other Division I programs so they will be "pumped up" to
show they are Division I-caliber players.
Maine will play either the University of Connecticut or Canisius in the
consolation or championship game of the J.C. Penney Classic and also has a game
against MAAC Hockey Conference regular season titlist Quinnipiac.
"I think our schedule has really good balance," said Maine coach Shawn Walsh
who added that the inclusion of the MAAC schools is designed to help the young
league and its teams.
"Our sport doesn't have 300 members. With the affect of gender equity on men's
sports, the more you can help schools who want to add a Division I sport, the
more it helps your sport," said Walsh.
The Denver Cup Tournament, which also includes Denver and Notre Dame, could
very well feature "four teams who make the NCAA Tournament this year,"
according to Walsh.
Maine also opens at home with a rebuilding Minnesota team under first-year
coach Don Lucia, who led Colorado College to five straight NCAA berths, on Oct.
16-17 and the defending national champs have games against ECAC teams Cornell
and Brown. The Cornell game will be at the Cumberland County Civic Center in
Portland on Jan. 4.
"I like the fact we're playing a lot of new teams," said Maine co-captain Cory
Larose. "Those teams will try to prove themselves against us so it'll be a good
challenge for us. We can't let down against any team."