JBS-L Archives

- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine

JBS-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Susan Hayward <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Aug 2001 09:41:40 -0400
Greetings friends,
I am currently working with an acquaintance from Portland who is leading
the way to install native plants in the cloverleaf at Exit 8 off the
Maine Turnpike. She has engaged a professional landscape architect to do
the design work, has had all the soils tested, and has a green light
(and even a modest amount of cooperation) from the Maine Turnpike
authority.  She provided me with a list of the plants to have me check
on whether they are native (she is sticking to this very hard), and
appropriate for the location.  We also worked on a time line for
installation.  Unfortunately the MTA told her that Exit 8 may in the
next 5-8 years be re-configured.  So she is going  ahead but starting
with short term plants (a meadow) and waiting to plant trees.
My question to you all is what native grasses, rushes or sedges could I
recommend to her to be planted and where are they available?  There is a
mix of soils and wetness on this site.  Some areas high and dry, and a
large, often wet, ditch.
thanks
Susan Hayward