JBS-L Archives

- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine

JBS-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Keith Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 2009 20:03:22 -0500
I vaguely recall reading something about it can be dug up and removed
manually (actually, use gloves) but is very dependent on timing, when the
plant is dormant.  The oil that is the irritant isn't produced all year
long.

The list of how not to remove poison ivy is probably much longer than the
list of how to do it safely.  For sure, don't burn it!!!  I've personally
seen the results on people and pets of burning poison ivy, when a friend did
such on a big pile of brush, not realizing it has poison ivy amongst it.
Keith Williams