JBS-L Archives

- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine

JBS-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Sender:
- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Susan Hayward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 21:00:02 -0500
Dear Friends,
Tom and I have received a request from a retired Bates faculty member
that we think Josses could help us with.
He is to give a lecture in the spring titled: "Cultural Harvest of Land
Preservation".  He will talk about how the land itself has the capacity
to astonish people.
He would like to include in his talk an illustration from nature (plants
in particular) of how color is used to seduce or attract an unwitting
predator.  He described this as beauty  vs  terror.
If you know of any such examples in the plant world, please let me
know.  Or, any wow-factor factoid in plant relationships too.
Thanks in advance,
Susan Hayward