JBS-L Archives

- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine

JBS-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
The Ledlies <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Sep 2001 14:38:14 -0400
What with the Milfoil police out in force, I need help.

I see references - most recently in the Sunday Portland Press Herald - to
Variable watermilfoil . I had assumed that the plant in question is
M.heterophyllum - Crow and Hellquist don't seem to always give common names
but Magee calls it Diverse-leaved. However, I don't see it on the Maine
Checklist or in the FLORA OF MAINE. Nor did I find any indications of
recent taxonomic changes. But there are 14 records on the Herbarium Web
Site - which incidentally is very, very slick.

Would someone straighten me out?

Another milfoil question. There were reports in the paper that M.spicatum
had been identified on a boat that was about to be put into Crystal Lake
outside of Gray, but the name of the person who did the identification was
never given.  Do we know that the plant was actually correctly identified
by a botanist?
Pat Ledlie
Eight Bean
PO Box 90