JBS-L Archives

- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine

JBS-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

From:
Loraine Kohorn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2007 12:49:21 -0400
Hi Matt:

I just noticed that the Maine DEP, Bureau of Land and Water Quality
has online a publication "

The Buffer Handbook Plant List

",  last revised in 2001.  This list includes European alder (Alnus
glutinosa) as something explicitly recommended to plant in buffer
zones.    From Alice's comment about establishment in watersheds in
VT and NH, we'd certainly be safe in recommending  to the DEP that
this should be taken off the list.

Thanks for bringing this up.

Loraine