JBS-L Archives

- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine

JBS-L@LISTS.MAINE.EDU

Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2007 11:35:20 -0400
7bit
Sender:
- JBS-L - Josselyn Botanical Society discussion list of the University of Maine <[log in to unmask]>
From:
Rick Speer <[log in to unmask]>
Here is one final reminder on the JBS Spring meeting.  Although the
pre-registration period is passed, there will be plenty of room at Bates, so
I'm hoping that many of you are planning to show up at the door.
Registration for the day is $15.  I'll paste in the detailed message with
the agenda below.  The meeting is in the Muskie Archives (right next door to
where we normally meet, see directions below); the registration table opens
at 8:30am and the meeting will commence at 9am.

For directions to Bates:
http://www.bates.edu/directions.xml

Detailed campus map with Muskie Archives location:
http://www.bates.edu/central-detail.xml

I hope to see you all there next Saturday.

Rick Speer

The meeting will be held on Saturday, March 31 at the Muskie Archives at 70
Campus Avenue in Lewiston, Maine.  This is in the building right next door
to our usual spring meeting location, which traditionally has been Chase
Hall.  When standing on the sidewalk on Campus Ave, facing the Chase Hall
entrance, the Muskie Archives is the building to the right.  The meeting
will be held in the large hall on the second floor of the Archives.  The
building will be open at 8:30am for mingling, coffee, tea, carbs, etc.  The
meeting will begin promptly at 9am and will be ending at 3pm.

Registration fee is $15 at the door.  (the registration includes lunch in
the Bates College
cafeteria in Chase Hall)

This meeting is open to members and non-members alike, but please be
judicious in spreading the word.  If you know of interested individuals,
feel free to forward this announcement.  For now, the JBS Board is asking
that it not be posted on any other electronic mailing lists as we are
somewhat afraid that we could be overwhelmed with potential registrants that

might exceed the maximum capacity (110) of the location.

For directions to Bates College:
http://www.bates.edu/directions.xml

Preliminary agenda:
9:00 Welcome, JBS President Chrisopher Campbell
9:15 Keynote: "Why all the Fuss about Invasive Plants? - Because I Like
Maine," Les Mehrhoff, Director, Invasive Plant Atlas of New England
10:30 "Barbing Sweet Bitter and Other Invasive Terrestrial Plants in Maine -
Past, Present, and Future," Ann Gibbs, Maine State Horticulturist, Maine
Dept of Agriculture
11:00 "Early Detection and Rapid Response: Lessons from the Jungle," Don
Cameron, Botanist/Ecologist, Maine Natural Areas Program
11:30 "Invasive Aquatic Plants in Maine: Spread Prevention and Plant
Suppression," John McPhedran, Biologist, Maine Dept of Environmental
Protection
12:00 lunch
1:00 "Impatiens glandulifera Research and Results," Nava Tabak (former IPANE
Project Staff)
1:20 TBA
1:40 "Wonder Weeders!: Tales of Volunteer Heroism in the Struggle to
Document and Remove Invasive Species," Ted Elliman & Aileen Kane, IPANE and
NEWFS volunteer coordinators
2:00 "Managing Small and Moderate Invasive Plant Infestations," Chris
Mattrick, Forest Botanist, White Mountain National Forest
2:30 Open discussion on the future of Invasives control in Maine

For more information, shoot me an email directly at: