From:
Timothy J King <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 2006 15:48:21 -0500
On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 12:06:26 -0800 Clay Satow <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> --- "Dr. Bob Hamilton" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> > An intensive numbers-crunching of five years of statistics shows
major penalties -- those most
> > often issued for fighting -- increases the total points of the
offending player's team and
> > decreases the number of goals scored by their opponents.

penalty: For each penalty minute
> > served, a team accrued 0.07 points and decreased their opponent's
scoring by 0.24 goals.

> That second number looks fishy to me.  A five minute major decreases
> the opponent's scoring by more than a goal?!?!

I agree that stat's are flawed.   There are probably many factors that
aren't taken into account in the study.  Taken to the extreme, the
implication is that if a coach really wants to "play by the numbers", the
best strategy is to constantly have 2 players in the box for majors.  120
minutes of penalties would gain 8.4 goals and cost your opponent 28.8
goals per game.  Since nobody expects to give up 28 goals a game under
any circumstance, reducing your opponents expected scoring by that much
should guarantee victory.

Tim King
Clarkson '92